D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jan 8 00:57:29 PST 2013

On 1/7/2013 8:17 PM, Pierre Rouleau wrote:
> And now I understand that D1 is no longer officially supported. If I understand
> properly D1 first release was 6 years ago.  Lets assume I would have started a
> product development with it say 2 years ago because it was deemed relatively
> stable then.  And now I want to support 64-bit Windows and my customers are
> starting to ask for Windows-8 support.  Or some other things gets in the way (a
> bug somewhere, Windows 9 getting released sooner because Windows 8 is not as
> popular as Microsoft would have hoped.) What would be my alternatives? Port all
> the code to D2?  Is this what will happen to D2? I'd like to know before I
> commit people and convince others.

The moment D1 was stabilized, work began on D2. It was always understood that D2
was the future, and D1 was the stable version. Supporting it for 6 years is a
pretty long time in the software business.

At some point, you'll need to make a decision:

1. move to D2

2. merge things from D2 into the D1 you've forked

3. buy a support contract from Digital Mars or from any of the many other
competent people in the community to help you with D1

It's pretty much the same with any software product. We were just talking about
how Apple pretty much has deprecated OS X 10.6, Microsoft regularly abandons old
versions of its operating systems, and I just found out that my Ubuntu is no
longer supported.