A look at the D programming language by Ferdynand Górski

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Tue Jan 15 04:19:29 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 15 January 2013 at 12:09:21 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> 1100110:
>
>> Thats so funny I forgot to laugh.
>
> One common indentation-related bug is caused by relying on the
> indentation to understand code, while the curly brace language
> compiler ignores what you were seeing and only sees the braces.
> I have seen many cases of delayed code understanding caused by
> that. Making the syntax more DRY (this means stating the
> logical indentation using only one communication channel) helps
> avoid those mistakes (and reduces the visual noise, further
> helping code readability).
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

That's not my experience. Nested for loops with if-statements can
be hard on the eye in Python, because you have to go back an
double check on which level you actually are and the fact that
one missing white space (a typo after deleting a line) screws up
the whole script is just annoying. The Python indentation terror
is a peculiar personal preference enshrined in the language's
syntax. It's simply not my style.