A look at the D programming language by Ferdynand Górski

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jan 15 04:36:40 PST 2013

Chris:

> Nested for loops with if-statements can be hard on the eye in
> Python, because you have to go back an double check on which
> level you actually are

If you use the standard 4 spaces indentations and you don't have
ten indentation levels this problem is not common. Some persons
also avoid your problem with an editor that shows thin vertical
lines every 4 spaces (but only where the lines are actually
reaching that length).

> and the fact that one missing white space (a typo after
> deleting a line) screws up the whole script is just annoying.

It's a small price to pay for increased code readability. And if
I see one missing white space in D code, I fix it right now, so
there is not a lot of difference.

> The Python indentation terror is a peculiar personal preference
> enshrined in the language's syntax. It's simply not my style.

Curiously the Python significant syntax was the motive for me to
start using Python in the first place, years ago. I was looking
right for that, being fed up of begin-end, curly braces, and
those code reading mistakes I was talking about.

Bye,
bearophile