A look at the D programming language by Ferdynand Górski

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Mon Jan 21 06:42:16 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 16 January 2013 at 15:55:09 UTC, renoX wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 January 2013 at 13:43:12 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 15 January 2013 at 12:36:42 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>>> Chris:

>>> If you use the standard 4 spaces indentations and you don't
>>> have ten indentation levels this problem is not common. Some
>>> persons also avoid your problem with an editor that shows
>>> thin vertical lines every 4 spaces (but only where the lines
>>> are actually reaching that length).
>>>

>> It happens very quickly if you have a class, a def, a nested
>> for loop with one or two if statements
>>
>> class:
>>    def:
>>        for:
>>            if:
>>
>> You could call it "south west" code.
>
> I'm not sure what is your point, even with 5 level of
> indentations and the standard 4 space indentations, on a normal
> 80 colum window you still have 3/4 of the window for the code..
>
> renoX

My point is that Python code is not necessarily more readable
only because it enforces indentation via syntax. If the code
between the different blocks (for, if, else etc) is long enough,
you easily lose track of where exactly you are when scrolling
down, just like in any other language (Yes, you need tools that
help you!). And one of the biggest drawbacks is that it is a
nuisance to cut and paste or comment out in Python because you
have to format your code _before_ you even know whether it works
as desired. If it doesn't, all the extra formatting work was in
vain. So much for "saving time". I do believe that abstract
ideals should not be given precedence over (coding) reality. If
Python is the ideal, why and how do other languages manage to
survive? How can people read code written in other languages at
all?

As has been said many times before, it should not be the
language's job to enforce indentation. This should be handled by
customizable code editors. Any programmer in his/her right mind
will use indentation. So why enforce it through syntax rules?