DConf 2013 Closing Keynote: Quo Vadis by Andrei Alexandrescu

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jul 1 11:42:11 PDT 2013

On 7/1/2013 10:45 AM, Joakim wrote:
> Then they should choose a mixed license like the Mozilla Public License or CDDL,
> which keeps OSS files open while allowing linking with closed source files
> within the same application.  If they instead chose a license that allows
> closing all source, one can only assume they're okay with it.  In any case, I
> could care less if they're okay with it or not, I was just surprised that they
> chose the BSD license and then were mad when someone was thinking about closing
> it up.

I should point out that the Boost license was chosen for Phobos specifically
because it allowed people to copy it and use it for whatever purpose, including
making closed source versions, adapting them for use with Go :-), whatever.

It would be pretty silly of us to complain about that after the fact.

People who don't want closed source versions should use GPL licenses.