DConf 2013 Closing Keynote: Quo Vadis by Andrei Alexandrescu

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jul 1 15:01:56 PDT 2013

On 7/1/2013 2:29 PM, John Colvin wrote:
> On Monday, 1 July 2013 at 17:45:59 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> I wouldn't call closing source that they legally allowed to be closed
>> antisocial.  I'd call their contradictory, angry response to what their
>> license permits antisocial. :)
>
> Just because you're doing something legal doesn't mean you're not being antisocial.
>
> It's a pretty psychopathic attitude to conflate legality and morality, it's
> effectively saying "I have the moral right to do whatever I can get away with"

(A nit: it is not illegal to break a contract's terms. You're quite right,
though, that morality and legality are very different things, and are too often
in contradiction.)

Anyhow, the reason we have written contracts is because people often (and
honestly) misremember or misinterpret verbally agreed upon terms. Having a
written record is a lot better when the two parties find themselves in a dispute.

There are many licenses to choose from, and we chose Boost knowing full well
what was said (and not said) in it about closed source usage.