Browsers (Was: A very basic blog about D)

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Jul 13 16:39:55 PDT 2013

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 11:35:17 +0200
"John Colvin" <john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 7 July 2013 at 15:00:43 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> > I had some free time so I decided I should start a simple blog
> > about D, implementing some unix utilities. I've
> > (unsurprisingly) started with echo.
> >
> > http://foreach-hour-life.blogspot.co.uk/
> >
> > It's nothing ground-breaking, but every little helps :)
>
> Seeing as most of the traffic I'm getting is from this thread, I
> thought it might be interesting for people to see some stats
> about where people are from, what browsers they're using etc.
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/910836/Webstats_02072013-10_09072013-09.png

Interesting!

> A lot of windows users, although that's skewed by people browsing
> from work. I hope that accounts for the IE contingent as well!

From the developer's perspective, ever since v7, IE isn't as bad as
people say. I do webdev and I've had just as much trouble with FF as
I've had with IE. In fact, the only *big* problems I've had with IE7+
were in conjunction with Flash.

I've found that when you do have a problem with a browser (whether IE or
anything else), then it's almost always just an indication that you're
overengineering something. Just take a step back, tone down the fancy
stuff (you'll almost always find you didn't need it), and the idealism
(most of webdev's "best practices" are a total load of crap - and
they're mostly spread by the same clowns who think PHP and JS are good
languages), and everything will work out just fine on all browsers,
including IE.

One thing to always keep in mind is that using newer web features and
techniques will always lead you into all sorts of bugs and
compatibility issues and such (it's just a natural consequence), but
most of the older features and techniques have become totally rock
solid (and fast) on pretty much damn near *anything* and aren't even
any harder to use (heck, frequently they're easier).