"Programming in D" book is about 88% translated

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Tue Jul 16 01:43:46 PDT 2013

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 00:28:36 +0100, Ali Çehreli <acehreli at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 07/15/2013 03:26 AM, deadalnix wrote:
>
>  > On Saturday, 29 June 2013 at 02:35:27 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
>
>  >> Thinking that it is free enough, I had chosen this:
>  >>
>  >>   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/us/
>
>  > NC is always kind of problematic as loosely defined. This is by far
> the
>  > dark corner of CC.
>
> It must be touching an irrational side of humans: Giving it completely
> free is fine, but other people's making profit off of it is somehow
> wrong! I can't explain why I feel that way. Must be primal genes... :)

I think it basically boils down to fairness (interesting, there are
studies which show other primates exhibit and understanding of fairness -
which is kinda cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KSryJXDpZo).

When someone sells something they are essentially saying you can have this
but I need some compensation for the work/effort I expended creating it
(or bringing it to you etc).  So, if someone sells something they did no
work to create then we see that as unfair.  There is nothing to
compensate, so asking for compensation is unfair.  We have no problem with
them giving it away free, because in that case they're not asking for
something they haven't earned.

There may also be an impression that if they're selling it, they are
asserting they did create it, that it is their work in some way, and this
claim is fraudulent and again conflicts with our sense of fairness.