Browsers (Was: A very basic blog about D)

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue Jul 16 02:02:18 PDT 2013

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 07:28:35 +0200
"Joakim" <joakim at airpost.net> wrote:

> I don't get your paranoia about the auto-updater:

Paranoia has nothing to do with it. I don't want it always running in
the background, I don't want it auto-updating, and I certainly don't
want a program installing an always running service I never asked it to
install in the first place.

>what makes you think it does anything other than check for updates?

I never said it did.

> I understand your suspicion of google.  I don't use their
> services other than search and have never signed up for facebook
> either, but that's no reason to use shady software just because
> it's "not google."  There are real privacy concerns with all
> these services, but if we don't stick to the facts, we damage our
> case.  I don't like what the Iron guy did and have documented the
> issues, it is up to you and others to decide what to believe.

"Because it isn't Google" has nothing to do with my usage of Iron. I
use it because I've had problems with Chrome that I haven't had with
Iron. And if I don't have to go through the bother of configuring those
settings in the first place and making sure to get Chromium instead of
Chrome then all the better (Seriously, why the fuck does Google have
two basically-identical browsers and the whole "Chrome vs Chromium"
bullshit anyway? Makes no fucking sense.)

I don't give a shit what the primary motivation of Iron's creator is or
how much work it did or didn't take to create. I use it because it works
the way I want it to and Chrome doesn't.

Honestly, I don't get all the FUD about Iron. A lot of stuff uses
ad-supported models, big freaking deal, welcome to the web. There's no
malware and no money charged, so there's clearly no "scam". Maybe some
stuff is overstated, but try finding a "legit" corporation that doesn't
twist and spin facts in their marketing. Not that I like that, but it
just means that SRWare is no more of a scam than Johnson & Johnson, or
General Mills or whatever. It all just sounds like a big overreaction
to a tool that just simply isn't *as* large of an improvement as it
makes itself out to be (which again, is a pretty common thing).
Overstatements or not, worries about him being some sort of "sellout"
or not (it's not as if Google is there for pure altruism instead of
trying to make a buck either), regardless of any of that it's a useful
Chromium distro.