Browsers (Was: A very basic blog about D)

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Tue Jul 16 06:11:21 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 16 July 2013 at 09:02:19 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Chrome then all the better (Seriously, why the fuck does Google
> have
> two basically-identical browsers and the whole "Chrome vs
> Chromium"
> bullshit anyway? Makes no fucking sense.)
Chromium is an open source project.  Chrome is google's build of
Chromium, with some additional proprietary bits added, like a
closed-source pdf viewer or licensed audio/video codecs compiled
in:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/ChromiumBrowserVsGoogleChrome

They use a hybrid model with Chrome, where it's 99% open with
added proprietary bits, a subject I've talked about before on
this NG.

> I don't give a shit what the primary motivation of Iron's
> creator is or
> how much work it did or didn't take to create. I use it because
> it works
> the way I want it to and Chrome doesn't.
You are free to use whatever you want, but when you say you don't
care about what this guy has done, you lose all credibility on
privacy and security.

> Honestly, I don't get all the FUD about Iron. A lot of stuff
> uses
> ad-supported models, big freaking deal, welcome to the web.
> There's no
> malware and no money charged, so there's clearly no "scam".
> Maybe some
> stuff is overstated, but try finding a "legit" corporation that
> doesn't
> twist and spin facts in their marketing. Not that I like that,
> but it
> just means that SRWare is no more of a scam than Johnson &
> Johnson, or
> General Mills or whatever. It all just sounds like a big
> overreaction
> to a tool that just simply isn't *as* large of an improvement
> as it
> makes itself out to be (which again, is a pretty common thing).
> Overstatements or not, worries about him being some sort of
> "sellout"
> or not (it's not as if Google is there for pure altruism
> instead of
> trying to make a buck either), regardless of any of that it's a
> useful
> Chromium distro.
Haha, now outright lying about how you "massively modified the
source" or that you're still "open source" is merely overblown
"marketing?"

You're twisting yourself into pretzels to try and justify this
choice.  Maybe you didn't know all this about Iron before, but it
seems like an irrational, personal attachment to keep using and
defending this browser after all this.