monarch dodra granted write access to phobos, druntime, and tools

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Jul 23 12:23:27 PDT 2013

On 7/23/13 8:27 AM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> You don't need push access to the blessed repository to contribute,
> THAT's why git exists! Only people merging stuff needs push access and
> is good to keep that team as small as possible (and if there is a review
> bottleneck then it is too small and needs to be expanded). Right now,
> fortunately, the lack of review doesn't seem to be a huge bottleneck,
> and while having committed, smart people helping could be beneficial,
> I think is wise not to give every contributor push access to the repo
> right now.

I'm very surprised by your outlook. My perception is that the long queue
of pending pull requests not being reviewed is the single most important
bottleneck at this point in history in the path of D. By my estimates I
think we'd improve the speed of D's development by at least one third if
we solve this one issue. There's no other issue offering so much impact.

I also think it may transform into a major crisis (an inflection point
in pull requests rate followed by a decline) if we leave this unresolved.

We must find a solution to reviewing pull requests, and fast.

Andrei