monarch dodra granted write access to phobos, druntime, and tools

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Wed Jul 24 04:02:03 PDT 2013

Andrei Alexandrescu, el 23 de July a las 12:23 me escribiste:
> On 7/23/13 8:27 AM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >You don't need push access to the blessed repository to contribute,
> >THAT's why git exists! Only people merging stuff needs push access and
> >is good to keep that team as small as possible (and if there is a review
> >bottleneck then it is too small and needs to be expanded). Right now,
> >fortunately, the lack of review doesn't seem to be a huge bottleneck,
> >and while having committed, smart people helping could be beneficial,
> >I think is wise not to give every contributor push access to the repo
> >right now.
>
> I'm very surprised by your outlook. My perception is that the long
> queue of pending pull requests not being reviewed is the single most
> important bottleneck at this point in history in the path of D. By
> my estimates I think we'd improve the speed of D's development by at
> least one third if we solve this one issue. There's no other issue
> offering so much impact.

OK, I haven't been looking at the pull request queue lately so I might
have written an uninformed opinion. But anyway, you don't need to give
people push access for that, people can review patches without push
access. People with push access can trust certain people and blindly
merge pull request those people reviewed and approved. I think having to
many hands merging stuff in one project will tend to chaos. Ideally some
people should have a very good global idea of what's going on with the
project, even when not reviewing every commit individually, you get an
idea of what's going on by just looking at the commit messages in the
pull request before merging.

This was my main point.

> I also think it may transform into a major crisis (an inflection
> point in pull requests rate followed by a decline) if we leave this
> unresolved.
>
> We must find a solution to reviewing pull requests, and fast.

True, but giving more people push access is not necessarily the solution
and there are other potential solutions.

In the Linux world usually there is only one "dictator" (push access)
for each repository, and he *blindly* merge stuff from "lieutenants"
(people he trust) [1]. That seems to scale pretty well.

[1] http://git-scm.com/book/en/Distributed-Git-Distributed-Workflows#Dictator-and-Lieutenants-Workflow