Article: Increasing the D Compiler Speed by Over 75%

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Tue Jul 30 02:59:17 PDT 2013

JS, el 29 de July a las 22:32 me escribiste:
> On Monday, 29 July 2013 at 19:38:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> >On 7/29/2013 12:08 PM, JS wrote:
> >>Trying to use distance and speed as a measure of performance of
> >>a program is
> >>just ridiculous.
> >
> >If you google "program execution speed" you'll find it's a
> >commonly used term. "Lines per second" is a common measure of
> >compiler execution speed - google "compiler lines per second" and
> >see.
> >

> >>(again, if we started with 12 second and went to 21 seconds, it
> >>would be a near
> >>75% increase. But a 75% increase is not a 75% decrease!!!!!!!!)
> >
> >Speed is the reciprocal of time, meaning a decrease in time is an
> >increase in speed.
>
> You are right, sorry. There is no difference.
>
> I think the issue is interpretation. When I read "X% increase in
> speed" I think "X% faster [in time]".

I just want to point out that being so much people getting this wrong
(and even fighting to convince other people that the wrong
interpretation is right) might be an indication that the message you
wanted to give in that blog is not extremely clear :)

That was my whole point. If you used some easier measure to understand
(like using time instead of speed) you could have avoided all this
confusion :)