Article: Increasing the D Compiler Speed by Over 75%

Zach the Mystic reachzach at gggggmail.com
Wed Jul 31 22:03:28 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 31 July 2013 at 22:58:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/31/2013 2:40 PM, Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Are you serious that you can't fathom how it could be
>> confusing to someone than
>> talking about differences in run times?
>
> Yes.
>
> And no, I'm not talking about confusing to someone who lives in
> an undiscovered stone age tribe in the Amazon. I'm talking
> about computer programmers.

I'm only a casual programmer, and I love the speed metric you've
used. A 75% speed increase means that the new compiler will be
75% through compiling a second equivalent program by the time the
previous compiler finishes the first. It conjures images like the
ones in the Mopar video you posted. That's amazing to me. Here's
to burning rubber, Walter!