D at University of Minnesota

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jun 2 15:45:05 PDT 2013

On Monday, June 03, 2013 00:29:09 Carl Sturtivant wrote:
> > This is awesome! I'm sure I speak on behalf of the entire
> > community that we'd be happy to help with anything you need.
>
> There is, perhaps, a need for a short technical document bringing
> TDPL up to date, i.e. consistent with the currently accepted view
> of the definition of D (wherever that resides).
>
> No doubt this is not necessary and the course will go fine
> without it, but it would be useful, as well as being encouraging
> to those students who exercise some initiative.

And what about TDPL is so out of date? Its description of pure is that of
strongly pure and thus is not fully correct, but from what I recall, almost
everything in it that's not correct (aside from actually errors in the
original text - which are covered by the errata) simply hasn't been
implemented yet (e.g. multiple alias thises) and was not any more correct when
TDPL was released than it is now. So, AFAIK, very little in TDPL is incorrect
or actually needs to be updated, and almost all of what's incorrect is
supposed to be corrected by the feature in question actually being
implemented.

- Jonathan M Davis