DConf 2013 Day 2 Talk 3: C# to D by Adam Wilson

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 23:11:00 PDT 2013

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 20:43:08 -0700, Nick B <nick.barbalich at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sunday, 2 June 2013 at 20:43:18 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 02:34:39 -0700, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 2013-06-02 00:49, Adam Wilson wrote:
>>>

>> In real life I would absolutely use third party libraries where
>> available. I would definitely recommend people do the same. In
>> retrospect I probably should've said something to that effect in the
>> closing of my talk ... So many things I would say differently!
>
> Adam, for your talk you never said what your rational was for
> doing this i.e.  what is the downside of Microsoft C# etc..(if
> there is one ?).  wWhy go to all this effort ?
>
> Nick

Well, the reason I started looking for alternatives in the first place is
exactly as mentioned in the talk. I found the Generic Constraints to be
far too constraining... if you'll pardon the pun. But indeed there are
more reasons than just constraints. There are certain things that just
can't be expressed in C# because of the VM, pointers, etc. There is no
concept of purity. No const. No shared. No built-in unittests. And that's
just off the top of my head, I'm probably forgetting a few.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender