DConf 2013 Day 2 Talk 6: Higgs, an experimental JIT compiler written in D by Maxime Chevalier-Boisvert

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Sat Jun 8 23:05:51 PDT 2013

Am Sun, 9 Jun 2013 01:53:23 +0200
schrieb Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com>:

> On 6/9/13, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
> > The size of "byte" is easy, it's 1 byte, but if you ask me a byte
> > is unsigned. I have learnt to be careful with byte/ubyte in D
>
> You, me, and Don, and probably others as well. It's easy to forget
> though that bytes are signed.

I found the integer names and sizes intuitive from the
beginning! And there was no confusion for me ever.

It starts with a 'u', it is unsigned, signed otherwise.
And the sizes are common in other programming languages, too.
long being the only confusing one, but since int is  already
the 32-bit version it should be clear that it must be 64-bit.

Though I can understand people who think of a byte as an
unsigned type, I was much more confused by C's signed chars.
Oh really? A character can be negative? Is this programming or
sociology?

--
Marco