DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 09:26:55 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 16:19:20 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> Combine that with good government subsidies and a deal to sell
> the power back to the grid and it's more like 10 years, max

Aye, that's what I was hoping to get (New York State would have
given like 50% money back).... but alas I went and bought a house
with a west/east facing roof, and a gigantic tree due south from
me.

The installer estimated I could still get maybe 70% of the
system's capacity out of it, but the tax rebates get small fast
if you go below 80%. My electric usage is small too, so the cost
of installation adds up....

but still, it is virtually guaranteed to pay for itself over its
lifetime and I have a good chance of turning a profit from it.
That's so cool.

Only downside is the upfront cost, and that isn't even *that*
bad. And I guess my equipment waiting to be installed uses a grid
tie inverter, so if main power goes out, I'm still out, no
independence there. But buying batteries and switches for that
would just about double the cost, and 99% of the time, grid power
is on anyway so just not worth it for me.