DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 14:20:13 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 20:51:58 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Owning a home has lots of nice advantages, but saving money
> isn't reliably one of them.

I agreed with you until last year, but the very low mortgage
interest rates and fitting in principle prepayments into my
budget tipped me toward the other side. (Then the landlord
jacking up the rent and giving me a bad attitude on a short
notice inspection pushed me into calling the bank immediately -
this is the biggest of the other advantages IMO, not having to
deal with a landlord anymore!)

But, like with a lot of things, there's no substitute for doing
your own math before making a decision.