DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jun 11 14:29:45 PDT 2013

> Define financially better off :)

You have mo' moolah. Is their any other definition?

> And this is not even a fair conversation, because there are so many variables to
> consider.

I'd like to pop that default conception that buying is financially better than
renting. It's only true if real estate values appreciate faster than inflation
plus taxes plus real estate commissions, which is hardly a sure thing.

(A lot of people overlook property taxes and capital gains taxes when they make
these calculations. I know one guy who cashed in his stock options and bought a
house with the proceeds, only to be forced to sell it a year later because he
couldn't pay the upkeep and taxes on his salary.)

I can't even recall anyone remembering that selling a house costs you a 6%
commission to the real estate agent. Poof! There goes a big chunk of your
profits right off the top.

Housing prices have to go up a lot to counter all that.