DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 14:51:08 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 19:54:34 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:44:35 -0400, John Colvin
> <john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> It's not ready to roll out as the energy of the future, but in
>> certain circumstances it's a good deal for an individual.
>
> It's not a good deal for the taxpayers who have to subsidize it
> to make it a good deal for the individual.  Would you buy it if
> it was full price?
>
> -Steve

Probably not. However, the subsidies have done a great deal to
get the technology real-world testing in a variety of settings,
as well as providing cash-flow for practical R+D, especially with
regards to more down to earth practicalities. I would say it is -
at the very least - not a complete waste of money for the
tax-payer.

P.S. I'm not buying it at all, my parents did as it represented a
much better investment than any bank accounts. In particular, the
energy companies pay quite a high price to buy the spare energy.