DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 14:58:56 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 21:29:49 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Define financially better off :)
>
> You have mo' moolah. Is their any other definition?
>

>> And this is not even a fair conversation, because there are so
>> many variables to
>> consider.
>
> I'd like to pop that default conception that buying is
> financially better than renting. It's only true if real estate
> values appreciate faster than inflation plus taxes plus real
> estate commissions, which is hardly a sure thing.
>
> (A lot of people overlook property taxes and capital gains
> taxes when they make these calculations. I know one guy who
> cashed in his stock options and bought a house with the
> proceeds, only to be forced to sell it a year later because he
> couldn't pay the upkeep and taxes on his salary.)
>
> I can't even recall anyone remembering that selling a house
> costs you a 6% commission to the real estate agent. Poof! There
> goes a big chunk of your profits right off the top.
>
> Housing prices have to go up a lot to counter all that.

In my experiences renting in the UK, a lot depends on the local
conditions.

For example, low quality housing situated near a university is a
fantastic investment as a landlord: There is very little domestic
demand for those properties as the academics don't want them and
nor do the better paid admin staff, so the prices stay low.
However, the rental demand is intense,  inexperienced and
inflexible, keeping rents very high.