DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jun 11 20:29:17 PDT 2013

> On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:29:45 -0400, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/11/2013 2:19 PM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> Define financially better off :)
>>
>> You have mo' moolah. Is their any other definition?
>
> Cash is not always the only consideration.  Equity has value.

I know that. I took accounting, and know that any asset that can be exchanged
for money is as good as money. Home equity can be quickly converted to cash via
a home equity loan, or a bit more slowly by selling it.

> Property will ALWAYS have
> value, even if almost everything else goes to shit.

Unless you buy in Detroit! (And that's far from the only such example. Many
small towns in America are like that.)

> Most people don't notice that both questions are EXACTLY the same.

Most people are math challenged. A friend of mine in the used car lot business
told me that's how they make their money - off of people who simply don't
understand how financing works, even when they're flatly told how it works.

Pick up a copy of the book "Influence". I bet you'll find it fascinating! I sure
did.