DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 2: Code Analysis for D with AnalyzeD by Stefan Rohe

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Jun 12 14:49:11 PDT 2013

Ary Borenszweig:

>> Maybe checked exceptions are bad only for the type system of
>> Java. Maybe
>> for a language that has global type inferencing on the
>> exceptions such
>> feature becomes better.
>
> Why?

I am not an expert of type systems, so this is this just an
hypothesis. What are the disadvantages of checked exceptions? One
problem is that those annotations are heavy, make the code rigid
to change, and this doesn't go well with normal programmer
laziness. A global type inferencer (that doesn't work well with
the dynamic nature of Java) avoids the need for all exception
annotations, but forces you to catch exceptions somewhere,
assuring no holes remain if you don't want holes.

Bye,
bearophile