DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 2: Code Analysis for D with AnalyzeD by Stefan Rohe

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jun 12 15:16:10 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 23:33:31 Timon Gehr wrote:
> > C++98 had checked exceptions (exception specifications), too. Another
> > failure of the idea, it failed so badly hardly anyone but language
> > lawyers ever knew it had it.
>
> Weren't those checked at runtime?

Yes. If another exception type was thrown, it called something like
unexpected_exception (I don't remember the exact function) which called abort
by default and killed your program. So, while Java's checked are ultimately a
bad idea, they at least have _some_ redeeming value, whereas C++ throw
specifiers really don't.

- Jonathan M Davis