DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

Don turnyourkidsintocash at nospam.com
Thu Jun 13 02:05:59 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 13 June 2013 at 08:25:19 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 June 2013 at 08:16:56 UTC, Peter Alexander
> wrote:
>> Visual Studio constantly crashes for me at work, and I can
>> imagine MonoDevelop and Eclipse being similar, but simpler
>> editors like Sublime Text, TextMate, vim, emacs etc. shouldn't
>> crash. I've been using Sublime Text for years now and I don't
>> think it has ever crashed.
>
> I am quite surprised to hear this is an issue at all btw.
> Neither Mono-D nor Eclipse DDT have never crashed for me on my
> smallish sources. And I just can't imagine D syntax
> highlighting crashing vim or emacs :)
>
> Mono-D has had update issues thanks to MonoDevelop upstream but
> that is somewhat different story.

Mono-D and Eclipse DDT both have major problems with long pauses
while typing (eg 15 seconds unresponsive) and crashes. Both of
them even have "modules of death" where just viewing the file
will cause a crash. If you're unlucky enough to get one of those
open in your default workspace file, the IDE will crash at
startup...