DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 11:00:25 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 13 June 2013 at 16:53:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Back in the bad old DOS days, there were many code editors that
> worked instantly. No perceptible delays at all. I find it
> ironic that today, with machines 1000 times faster, some
> vendors consider it acceptable to have 15 second delays.

Indeed. Software responsiveness is my #1 pet peeve with just
about all software.

If a video game can simulate physics, render millions of
triangles, stream multiple channels of audio, and process game
logic and AI in under 16ms then your crappy text editor can at
least have the decency to put a character on the screen when I
press a key without having to wait multiple seconds.

 From a cold boot, the terminal I use, iTerm, can take upwards of
10 seconds to start up before I can start entering commands.

People just don't care anymore.

In 1977, when Alan Kay was describing DynaBook (basically, the