SPY

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Jun 13 13:48:12 PDT 2013

> On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:10:06 -0400, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/13/2013 11:25 AM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> I meant much simpler to predict/easier to come out ahead.  Sheesh, so much
>>> literalism here :)
>>
>> I'm going to disagree with that one, too!
>>
>> Consider an S&P 500 index stock, like SPY. It's:
>
> If you want to compare ONE SPECIFIC stock to ALL POSSIBLE HOUSES, yes I'm sure
> we can find some examples in your favor.  Shall I respond by comparing ALL
> POSSIBLE STOCKS against a town whose houses have gained value for the last 50
> years?

If you can show me an index fund on real estate, by all means!

BTW, SPY isn't a company. It is a tracker of the S&P 500, meaning it's 500
stocks in one package. QQQ is the one for the Nasdaq, and DIA For the Dow 30.

http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/etf-list/?symbol=spy&ocid=qbeb

"The investment seeks to provide investment results that, before expenses,
generally correspond to the price and yield performance of the S&P 500 Index.
The Trust holds the Portfolio and cash and is not actively "managed" by
traditional methods. To maintain the correspondence between the composition and
weightings of Portfolio Securities and component stocks of the S&P 500 Index
("Index Securities"), the Trustee adjusts the Portfolio from time to time to
conform to periodic changes in the identity and/or relative weightings of Index
Securities."