DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Jun 13 23:51:30 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 13 June 2013 at 22:30:25 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 June 2013 at 20:19:06 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>> The differences between a graphical debugger and gdb are
>> fairly interesting in
>> that all the basic stuff is just way easier and more pleasant
>> in a graphical
>> debugger, but gdb has all kinds of advanced stuff that tends
>> to blow graphical
>> debuggers out of the water in terms of power.
>
> What can gdb do in particular that Visual Studio can't?
>
> Not trying to troll, I'm genuinely curious. I googled for
> advanced gdb tricks to try and find some of the more advanced
> stuff, but it was all simple things that Visual Studio does
> (printing variables, disassembling, casting memory to arbitrary
> types, pretty printing STL containers, conditional/data
> breakpoints, running commands on hit breakpoints etc.)

The only thing that GDB can do that Visual Studio does not offer
is a REPL like environment for C and C++ code. Visual Studio
immediate window only supports managed languages properly.

Everything else, VS wins hands down, specially when debugging
data structures (thanks to visualizers) or
multithreading/parallel code.

--
Paulo