DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

Don turnyourkidsintocash at nospam.com
Fri Jun 14 00:40:40 PDT 2013

On Friday, 14 June 2013 at 06:49:08 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-06-13 16:44, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>
>> I've always use VIM without any problems. Is not what you
>> typically call
>> an IDE though. I think now some of "our guys" are using Geany
>> moderately
>> successfully, for sure much better than Ecplise and Mono
>> plugins. IIRC,
>> the main problem with those huge IDEs were memory usage and
>> death-files
>> (files that made the IDE crash consistently).
>>
>> I think there a lot of working advanced editors for D, but
>> IDEs are
>> quite behind (at least in Linux).
>
> I agree. But he said at the end of the talk that he didn't want
> codecompletion refactoring or anything like that. Now he said
> he just wants something better than Notepad that is stable.

I don't know what's going on here, somehow people are
consistently misunderstanding me.

The question in the talk was along the lines of "what's wrong
with D's IDEs". And people expected the problem was that they
don't have good refactoring support or something. But the problem
is much more severe:
  Mono-D is not as good as Notepad.
  EclipseD is not as good as Notepad.
Because they are unstable.