DConf 2013 Day 3 Talk 1: Metaprogramming in the Real World by Don Clugston

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Fri Jun 14 02:39:03 PDT 2013

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:51:57 +0100, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
wrote:

> On Friday, June 14, 2013 10:05:27 Peter Alexander wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't know what's going on here, somehow people are
>> > consistently misunderstanding me.
>> >
>> > The question in the talk was along the lines of "what's wrong
>> > with D's IDEs". And people expected the problem was that they
>> > don't have good refactoring support or something. But the
>> >
>> > problem is much more severe:
>> >  Mono-D is not as good as Notepad.
>> >  EclipseD is not as good as Notepad.
>> >
>> > Because they are unstable.
>>
>> What we're not understanding is that, if you don't want
>> refactoring, or intellisense, or any of that stuff then why not
>> just use notepad, emacs, vim etc.? Surely those are stable?
>>
>> That's why people were asking what you wanted from the IDE, so
>> that they could suggest stable editors that had those features.
>> If you don't want lots of features then Mono-D and EclipseD are
>> not good choices.
>
> I don't think that it's that he doesn't want them. It's that they don't
> matter
> until the IDE is stable enough that it doesn't crash. If it crashes, it
> doesn't matter what else it can do. But once it's stable enough that it
> doesn't crash and you can actually use it, _then_ you can discuss what
> other
> cool features it should have. Until then, it's worse than notepad.

I understood (t)his point the first time he made it.

Lets assume we're in the development team for Notepad and we're trying to
make it into the best D IDE in town.  Lets assume stability is a solved
problem.  What's the next feature we work on?

That's the Q we/I want answered so someone out there on the ether can
either suggest an editor that meets the criteria or someone will be
inspired to write one.