[Phoronix] D Language Still Showing Promise, Advancements

TommiT tommitissari at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 20 12:05:46 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 20 June 2013 at 18:44:43 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 June 2013 at 17:51:11 UTC, w0rp wrote:
>> The Rust comparisons should end. There is nothing to be gained
>> from it.
>
> It was not the D supporters on the Reddit discussion who brought
> Rust into the mix.
>
> Although I agree with you that trashing another language,
> whatever it may be (maybe C++ is fair game), isn't a good way to
> sell D.
>
> But what should be done if someone says "why choose D over
> Rust"?
> You can't just reply, "Oh, I guess you are right, Rust is better
> ... I am heading back to the D forum now!"

Currently, I think they're discussing if it's possible to add
mutable external iterators to Rust, which doesn't seem possible,
because the strong memory safety Rust has chosen to operate
within is quite restrictive. And if you can't have external
iteration, you can't have generic algorithms, and no proper
generic programming. I think that's a pretty good argument
against Rust at the moment, but who knows, maybe they can figure
it out. There's some info:
http://www.marshut.com/nxyuu/the-future-of-iterators-in-rust.html

But I wouldn't go around bashing Rust, it seems a very nice
language.