[Phoronix] D Language Still Showing Promise, Advancements

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Jun 21 00:18:11 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 20 June 2013 at 19:24:52 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Thursday, June 20, 2013 21:05:46 TommiT wrote:
>> Currently, I think they're discussing if it's possible to add
>> mutable external iterators to Rust, which doesn't seem
>> possible,
>> because the strong memory safety Rust has chosen to operate
>> within is quite restrictive. And if you can't have external
>> iteration, you can't have generic algorithms, and no proper
>> generic programming. I think that's a pretty good argument
>> against Rust at the moment, but who knows, maybe they can
>> figure
>> it out. There's some info:
>> http://www.marshut.com/nxyuu/the-future-of-iterators-in-rust.html
>>
>> But I wouldn't go around bashing Rust, it seems a very nice
>> language.
>
> I haven't really looked into Rust, but from everything I've
> heard, it sounds
> like it's still very much in research and development mode, so
> I don't think
> that we can really have any clue where it'll be when it's
> actually ready for
> production use. It sounds like they have a lot of interesting
> ideas that
> they're trying out, which may or may not pan out, and we'll
> just have to wait
> and see where they end up.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Samsung just placed a few of their developers into the Rust team.

Their are contributing to Rust development, but the main goal is
the improvement of Servo, the web browser that is being written
in Rust and used as test field for the language.

Why Samsung got involved is anyone's guess, but it might have to
do with their handsets, Tizen, or whatever.

--
Paulo