[Phoronix] D Language Still Showing Promise, Advancements

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Fri Jun 21 03:10:30 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 20 June 2013 at 14:37:51 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Is it just me or has Rust completely displaced Go as the go-to
> 'why D when we have X' thing on the reddit?
>
> It seems like not even a full year ago, Rust was rarely
> mentioned and all the versus hype was about Go. Will Rust fade
> away from D threads a year from now?

Hype is usual reaction to anything new and uncertain. More
interesting question is "what will be left after hype ends?". Go
has fit its narrow niche and it became obvious that it won't
directly compete to something as wide-purpose as D. Lot of people
like opinionated restrictions and minimalistic design but that
does not deal well with generic usage. However it has somewhat
taken away one of many possible D niches.

It is close to impossible to reason about possible niche Rust may
finally find because it is so new and in early design stage.
However, its toolset is already much more rich than Go one and in
that sense it provides more interesting competitor to D.

I am quite sure it will fade away from D threads soon, but will
it fade away from D landscape - no idea :)