[Phoronix] D Language Still Showing Promise, Advancements

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Sun Jun 23 08:29:57 PDT 2013

Am Thu, 20 Jun 2013 22:53:13 +0200
schrieb "Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com>:

> On Thursday, 20 June 2013 at 20:47:19 UTC, Michael wrote:
> > Also 3 types of pointers scares me.
>
> This actually doesn't scare me because it is kinda useful for
> certain situations. However, I don't think it needs to be built
> into the language because library types can do the same kind of
> thing.

Yes, once you know about UniquePtr, NotNullable, RefCounted
and such, 3 pointer types isn't scary are all.
But Rust pointers don't map 100% to library types. They have
compiler support which removes the syntactical noise of
templates and makes them behave more natural. For example in D
everything becomes a struct once you add functionality around
it and creates corner cases that aren't supported.
I wonder how many D programmers actually use Phobos' library
pointer types.

--
Marco