D/Objective-C, extern (Objective-C)

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jun 25 11:06:33 PDT 2013

On 6/24/2013 1:18 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:
> And I don't think it is very common in D either. Either way, if D was to
> implement ARC for its own memory allocator instead of the current GC (which
> would be great) there's noting to prevent implementing it so that reference
> counts could be incremented from the middle address of a memory block, it'd be
> quite easy in fact, and quite necessary too because of the way arrays work.

 From my reading about ARC, it seems to me that we should support it now rather
than later because:

1. people will expect it of D

2. non-ARC is inherently unsafe

3. migrating non-ARC code to ARC is error-prone and a major nuisance

4. non-O-C programs can also benefit from ARC (after all, reliance on the GC is
the perennial dealbreaker for people wanting to migrate high performance code to D)