DConf 2013 Closing Keynote: Quo Vadis by Andrei Alexandrescu

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Thu Jun 27 06:17:59 PDT 2013

As I said earlier, I'm done with this debate.

There is no point talking to people who make blatantly ignorant
statements like, "Binary blobs are the exception rather than the
rule in Linux, and many hardware vendors would flat out say 'no'
to doing any support on them."  This assertion is so ignorant of
the facts, it's laughable. :) I have no idea what to make of
Iain's talking about gdc or that it is a "one-man team" in
response to my prediction that ldc could go closed/paid and
obsolete dmd: there is absolutely no connection between the
topics.

As for Luca's long response, it is filled with basic mistakes,
silly and incorrect rehashes of material already covered, or
trivial twits, like the fact that D has a spec but isn't
standardized by any international body.  For example, I
originally pointed out several examples of other projects with
existing commercial models and I was told that they're not
"closed."  I responded that I never said that they were all
closed, only commercial, and I'm now told that since my proposed
model for D is closed, I'm "misstating" myself. (Slaps head)

These responses seem written by people who have a very tenuous
grasp on the text I wrote.

Look, I get it, you guys are religious zealots- you tip your hand
when you allude to ethical or moral reasons for using open
source, a crazy idea if there ever was one- and you will come up
with all kinds of silly arguments in the face of overwhelming
evidence that _pure_ open source has failed.  Instead, you claim
success when hybrid models bring more open source into the world,
then nonsensically reverse course and claim that either they
aren't actually hybrid or that such hybrid models are not really
"open source," that it's a lie to call it that. (Slaps head again)

I'm not trying to convince you zealots.  You want to keep banging
your heads against the wall for the greater glory of your
religion, have fun with that.

I'm simply putting forward a case for D going the route of the
most successful projects these days, by using a hybrid model,
with a unique variation that I came up with :) and have
successfully used for a project of my own.

Those who aren't religious about _pure_ open source can consider
what I've proposed and my evidence and see if it makes sense to
them.