An idea - make dlang.org a fundation

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 16:36:01 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 21:39:28 UTC, ixid wrote:
>>-You could start taking donations and hire some people to work
>>on
> D.
>
> This doesn't work as it's a volunteer project. Why should
> someone get paid when others give their time for free? It would
> create conflict while being a less effective application of
> funds, D already gets more than one or two people years of
> effort per year. A better use of the money is another D
> conference which has been a huge success and generated both
> ideas and much greater interest and exposure for D.

I don't think paying people should be out of the question, if
there was money available.

There are often jobs that need doing on a project the size of D
that aren't fun, stimlating or interesting, but are still
absolutely necessary. Trawling through documentation for any
errors/omissions etc. comes to mind.

These tasks could be split up in to manageable chunks and offered
as freelance contracts for a modest but reasonable wage,
dependant on urgency, technical skill needed etc.
E.g. If someone would pay me even as little as $15-20 an hour to
go through phobos enforcing the style guide everywhere or chasing
up old bugs in bugzilla, I would happily put in a few hours a
week. For a student that sort of money goes a long way.
(Not suggesting that paying per hour is a good idea necessarily,
just illustrating the point with an example)