Announcing bottom-up-build - a build system for C/C++/D

David Bryant bagnose at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 05:34:52 PDT 2013

On 27/06/13 09:40, Graham St Jack wrote:
> Bottom-up-build (bub) is a build system written in D which supports
> building of large C/C++/D projects.

I've worked with Graham in the past and can attest to bub's coolness.

My pet project 'terminol' is about a month away from an initial release,
but given that is uses the bub build system, and that Graham has made
his announcement, it could be interest now to anyone wishing to see a
small project that uses bub:

   https://github.com/bagnose/terminol

Briefly: terminol is a lightweight terminal emulator for Linux,
essentially aimed at being a rxvt-unicode refresh. It should checkout,
build fine with bub, but so far I'm the only one who ever has. I'm
sorry, it's not written in D (it's written in C++11) but I am a huge fan
of D.

Having worked with GNU Make, Jam and autotools (and looked closely at
several others) I find bub very pleasant to use indeed. I won't repeat
the benefits that Graham already espoused.

I think the focus with bub thus far has been to develop its core
approaches: unifying C/C++/D, bottom-up-build, library inference,
circularity detection, etc. As such, it is a little unfurnished at the
edges. For example, bub does not have a defined scheme for determining
things like: what libraries does the user have available and what are
their peculiarities (versions, location, etc). At the moment the user
may need to do a bit of bub.cfg customisation of their own to make
things work.

Those things are the next hurdle and will be interesting to discuss.
However I think bub already demonstrates the promise of greatness and is
worth taking a good look at.

David Bryant