Announcing bottom-up-build - a build system for C/C++/D

Clive Hobson clivetown-dev03 at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 29 04:07:59 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 29 June 2013 at 07:54:30 UTC, Graham St Jack wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 00:59:15 +0200, John Colvin wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, 27 June 2013 at 00:10:37 UTC, Graham St Jack
>> wrote:
>>> Having side-by-side comparisons of D against bash scripts and
>>> C++
>>> modules had the effect of turning almost all the other team
>>> members
>>> into D advocates.
>>
>> Any chance we could know what team this is? (Sorry if this is
>> common
>> knowledge)
>
> It is the development team at my previous workplace. I haven't
> asked them
> for permission, so I would rather not say who they are.
>
> David Bryant (the previous poster) was a member of that team
> though, and
> he will be happy to provide details.

I am still part of that team.  We still use the early predecessor
of bub to build several projects from a large C++ codebase, but I
am looking forward to switching to bub at the end of the current
project.

For example, one project uses ~2000 cc/h files containing
~390,000 lines (before any code generation).  After a successfull
build, running the build again takes about 2s to figure out that
everything is up to date.  Knowing both build tools, I expect
that time to remain about the same after the switch to bub.

Yes, I have become a D advocate.  Our production code is still
mostly C++, but a large part of our system-level testing is now
written in D (~15,000 lines).  Bash scripts are becoming rarer
too. :)