DConf 2013 Closing Keynote: Quo Vadis by Andrei Alexandrescu

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Sun Jun 30 12:45:04 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 30 June 2013 at 19:24:54 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/30/2013 2:50 AM, Joakim wrote:
>> I wondered if you have any opinion on such code reuse, if
>> someone takes your
>> code and closes it, even if you wouldn't try to block it
>> because you have
>> already released it under a permissive license.
>
> No, I don't have an opinion on it, other than that I'd rather
> they didn't try to create an incompatible language and still
> call it "D".
OK, glad to hear that you wouldn't be against it.  You'd be
surprised how many who use permissive licenses still go nuts when
you propose to do exactly what the license allows, ie close up
parts of the source.

Since you have been so gracious to use such permissive licenses
for almost all of D, I'm sure someone will try the closed/paid
experiment someday and see if which of us is right. :)