DConf 2013 Closing Keynote: Quo Vadis by Andrei Alexandrescu

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jun 30 20:42:16 PDT 2013

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 22:45:04 Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:02:11 -0400, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
> > I know. My point was that that's an inherent problem with built-in AAs
> > that
> > can't be overcome (regardless of how well they're implemented). If you
> > want
> > that level of control, you _have_ to use a library solution.
>
> OK. I guess I was just reading your statement like it was a "problem" :)

Well, it is in the sense that it _is_ a deficiency of built-in AAs for those
who want to be able to use different implementations for different use cases,
but it's not something that can actually be fixed, and having to use a library
solution isn't exactly all that bad anyway, especially when most languages
don't have AAs built-in in the first place. It's just a convenience feature.

- Jonathan M Davis