Four new committers on github: AndrejMitrovic, ibuclaw, klickverbot, and rainers

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Mar 7 12:55:53 PST 2013

Hello everyone,

I'm happy to announce we have four new committers to our project on
github: AndrejMitrovic, ibuclaw, klickverbot, and rainers.

Lots of cool things are happening nowadays in D, what with DConf gearing
up, the rise of private and corporate use, and the swelling of
contributions. Yet we should see those as mere stepping stones toward
much bigger destinations.

Short term, we need to improve process to the point where we can
successfully "drain" contributions from the community, and scale up
organizationally so we could absorb 10x and 100x more. There are 158
pull requests for all components combined (http://goo.gl/0Ar7b), most or
all written by highly talented and motivated people. It is key to
improve our ability to absorb these contributions and attract more of such.

That's in the short term. On a longer horizon, we are now at a point
where many programmers have heard of D, and fortunately past the entire
"what's the deal with tango and phobos" morass. The strategic item to
work on now is to improve the quality of the language definition and the
implementation of the reference front-end. The word on the street is
that D is okay for the straight stuff, but fuzzy at the corners if you
get into the esoteric. And we won't make it big for being as good as the
"straight stuff" as anyone else (though that's a precondition), but by
consistently showing that the differential features of D are delivering
big time.

So quality is the keyword to live by. And I think by adding four
high-octane committers to the team we're taking a step in the right
direction. Please join me in congratulating them!

Thanks,

Andrei