Rust vs Dlang

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Mar 17 00:59:28 PDT 2013

On 17.03.2013 07:25, Rob T wrote:
> On Saturday, 16 March 2013 at 14:42:58 UTC, Suliman wrote:
>> Hi folks! I had wrote small article about Rust vs D. I hope that you
>> will like it!
>>
>> http://versusit.org/rust-vs-d
>
> I agree, only Rust seems to compete with D for the goal as being a real
> alternative to C/C++. Interesting read comparing the two.

At least on Windows, C# would be an alternative the minute that
Microsoft decides to offer a direct native code compiler instead of the
AOT + JIT combo.

They have done it for Singularity and part of that work is now being
used in Windows Phone 8, where .NET applications are actually compiled
to native code when uploaded to the Windows Store.

Go could be an alternative, given the proofs given by Oberon and Active
Oberon as system programming languages, which Go kind of follows.

However the Go guys just don't agree with the progresses made in
language abstractions in the last decades, which in my view is a plus
point for D and Rust, and made me stop caring about Go.

In Europe Ada seems to be picking up some users now that there is a good
quality free compiler available (GNAT) and the public is more aware of
the security issues created by C and C++ when used by junior developers.

Anyway the more languages the better.

--
Paulo