Go vs. D [was Re: Rust vs Dlang]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Mar 17 03:06:35 PDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-03-17 at 01:57 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
[…]
> I'd like to add that D has:
>
> - operator overloading
> - user defined attributes
> - dll's (coming soon)
> - vector operations
> - SIMD operations
> - scope guard
> - compile time function execution
> - true immutability and purity
> - inline assembler
[…]

On the other hand "creeping featurism" can be a bad thing. Isn't the
mantra "small language, large (properly indexed) library"?

Immutability though I like. Single assignment rules.

Inline assembler is anathema.

> Andrei did some tests a while back showing that D compiles considerably faster
> than Go. High compilation speed has been a major factor among companies who have
> adopted D.

Excellent.

Java / Scala is an interesting battle: Java is massively verbose, Scala
is not; Java takes a while to compile, Scala takes eons. Hence static
Groovy (as well as dynamic), and Kotlin. The jury is still out on
whether Ceylon has any relevance to the universe.

PS Can I have shared objects last week please ;-)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk