Go vs. D [was Re: Rust vs Dlang]

Peter Sommerfeld noreply at rubrica.at
Sun Mar 17 14:40:49 PDT 2013

Walter Bright wrote:
[snip]
> I prefer to view D as a fully equipped machine shop with the right tools
> for the right job. Yes, it will take longer to master it than a simpler
> language. But we're professionals, we program all day.

Not everyone is. With its "scripting abilities" (fast compilation,
a rich std lib, nice syntax) D is attractive for people which has
used a scripting language + C/C++ before to get their job done and
are frustrated by the limitations of such a combo.

> The investment of  time to master it is trivial next to the career
> productivity improvement.

IMHO the problem here is documentation and integration of the various
aspects of the language. The learning curve is rather steep and takes
(much) more time than is really needed.

Of course, I agree with you on the bottom line to prefer a rich set
of tools over overly simplification.

Peter