Go vs. D [was Re: Rust vs Dlang]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Mar 18 02:22:42 PDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-03-17 at 13:56 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/17/2013 3:01 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> > I guess this is because of the segmented stacks architecture behind the
> > realization of Go.
>
> Segmented stacks have a significant performance cost to them, as well as making
> it hard to interface to other languages. I also think that the shift to 64 bits
> makes them obsolete anyway.

I think this is possibly not the case or Go and Rust would not have gone
this route – which is the imperative native code equivalent of what the
functional languages and the dynamic languages do using the heap. The
problem is to not have a single stack so that it becomes easy to manage
1,000+ threads within a single process.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk