Rust vs Dlang

JN 666total at wp.pl
Mon Mar 18 11:21:34 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 17 March 2013 at 06:57:32 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

> Comments such as "There are no threads in D out of the box, but
> they can
> be implemented with the use of language libraries" seems unfair
> all
> round. The D platform is compiler + Phobos so there are threads
> out of
> the box. D also has spawn just as Rust does; out of the box.

Well, there is an advantage of having stuff built-in. Look at
C++, it's annoying to type #include <string> whenever you want to
use such a basic type as string. In D a basic program will also
require multiple imports for usually the same basic behaviour. In
C# and Java this is remedied by IDE autocompleting the import
list, in D we don't have it (yet ;)). Imagine if you had to
import std.string; everytime you wanted to use a string type. It
wouldn't be the most fun thing to use. IMHO there's nothing wrong
in putting the basic functionality built-in. It doesn't matter if
it's somehow baked into the language or as an auto-import
library, it's a matter of convenience but in these cases it's
worth it (IMHO).