Guigle: Is there help?

Stephen Jones siwenjo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 13:29:04 PDT 2013

On Monday, 25 March 2013 at 07:54:30 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-03-25 at 02:47 +0100, Stephen Jones wrote:
>> I was looking for a GUI that I could run over an openGL window
>> in D and gave up and wrote a gui out of openGL that is the
>> last sequence of draws and that gets rendered to the near
>> plane. The project is called Guigle. So far it includes
>> Button, CheckBox, Cursor, DropMenu, EditField, Editor,
>> FileChooser, FileSaver, MsgBox, EntryBox, and TextField
>> classes, all of which behave like a rudimentary WinForms. All
>> of the workings, including loading Derelict3 are blackboxed
>> into a Guigle folder, which also contains a layout.ini for
>> setting colors, fonts and theme. To use Guigle you extend Form
>> in the main App class, call super with window w, h,
>> clearColor, and a parameterless delegate to an initial
>> function. The App class also overrides a draw function which
>> allows the programmer to access the GL loop to draw underneath
>> the GUI; events for user defined GL, at this stage, have to be
>> handled via events thrown from the GUI. Although not
>> rigorously tested it all works on XP as expected and without
>> crashing.
>
> Is this a Windows only thing or is the intention for it to be
> able to
> work on OS X and the X-based systems, GNOME, KDE, etc, and
> indeed
> Wayland?
>
> In other places, whenever anyone mention WinForms, the C# folks
> tend to
> growl with what appears to be hatred.
>
>> I would like to make the software openSource (BSD or
>> community) and put it on GIT and was wondering if any body
>> could help me publish the thing. I am really dense when it
>> comes to figuring out configuration issues. My way would be to
>> dump the MonoDevelop (Xamarin) .sln onto GIT and if people
>> want to use it they can download it and treat the project like
>> a template… basically clear out the initial App class and
>> build the functionality they want; they do not need to go into
>> the Guigle folder to access the functionality. But there is
>> probably a way better way of doing things, like making the
>> Guigle folder something you could place in the DMD2\scr
>> directory and linking to it. When I try this I get all sorts
>> of issues like dlls no longer found, file names missing, etc,
>> basically configuration issues that I do not understand. Why
>> oh why didn’t I take the blue pill?
>
> A Git repository should contain only the source code and not be
> tied to
> a particular IDE. Clearly there needs to be some documentation
> on how to
> use the source, but to mandate a specific IDE will ensure that
> there is
> little take up of the project.
>
> It all sounds from the above as though Guigle is deeply tied
> into
> Windows, but I may be misunderstanding.

The Gui runs off Derelict3 and should run on any OS that supports
Derelict3. The FileChooser mechanism uses DMD2 std. imports to
run around the directory structure. The initial folder (project
folder) is found for Windows, OSX or Linux; finding this folder
is crucial for images and fonts are specified relative to it.
Again, only tested on Windows.

I saw Luig but it is DMD1 with an earlier Derelict.