Go vs. D [was Re: Rust vs Dlang]

Alan geouke at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 21:02:53 PDT 2013

Whether it is Go or D, I wish one of you guys would fill the gap
between the numeric work I need to do in fortran and the
ui/string parsing/web work/plotting/animating I do in python.

While working in two languages is realistically not a huge deal,
it would be nice if there was something that bridged the gap for
all of us people out there writing stuff for science so that we
could just learn one and be done with it.

the day a D program can begin with "import SciD; import Dplot;",
and progress to "matrix.invert();" and "surf(matrix);", I will
ditch both python and Go.

I am being incredibly self-serving and am half-kidding on this
post since other people use D for all sorts of other things and
they probably outnumber me. Still, I would love to see a compiled
language implement numeric libraries that worked as fluidly as
numpy and matplotlib work with python.

One reason I prefer D over Go is that the D community is so
incredibly nice :)